Friday, January 29, 2016

English Sparrow/"His Eye Is On The Sparrow"



We have English sparrows in the USA but do you know why we call them that?  It is because they truly are sparrows that are here from England.  Some misguided soul who dearly loved Shakespeare thought that it would be a good idea to release all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare into Central Park in New York City. (I think this was done sometime in the late 19th century...I would look this up for you, but my dear computer is slow to work, so if this is incorrect, let me know and I will edit this!)  The starling and the English sparrow were the most prolific. It is interesting to see the same bird in both America and England.  (Please do not think I am advocating this, We know now the problems created by introduced species.)

There is a beautiful hymn called "His Eye Is On The Sparrow".  You know it, don't you?  Many think of it as a Negro spritual, I think because it was sung by many great African Americans and also, it was the title of the autobiography of Ethel Waters.  (Trying to link something here, but unable to do so!)  Anyway, there are many who are going through rough times just now and I was reminded of this hymn.  I personally know seven people who have died the past two months.  Winter seems to be a tough time for a lot of people.

Today, when I came home from work, I had the most wonderful package in the mail.  A painting by Silke Powers, of a woman with an owl on her shoulder and the dark brown branches are arching behind both of them...it reminds me of the branches in the photo above! (And the eye of the sparrow is very much like the owl!)  The painting is exquisitely beautiful and the fact that this came to me today...well, I just can;t tell you how much I appreciate it.  It is a heaven sent from an angel, I tell you!  If you would like to see more of the art by Silke Powers, you may  just here!  (That is a link to her blog, but you may click on the side for her art!)


  1. Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
    Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heav’n and home,
    When Jesus is my portion? My constant Friend is He:
    His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
    His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.



22 comments:

  1. My mother, who was suffering from dementia, passed away very suddenly in 2012 of congestive heart failure and as we were scrambling to put together a beautiful funeral service for her, my cousin (who was to sing) suggested "His eye is on the sparrow".

    He sang it so beautifully:

    "I sing because I'm happy,
    I sing because I'm free,
    For His eye is on the sparrow,
    And I know He watches me."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had all of the lyrics to the song on here but somehow it didn't all come over so I was hoping that someone would supply the chorus for me. Thank you, Lynn.
      I am sorry for the loss of your mother. I can just hear that song at a funeral, that sounds very moving.

      Delete
  2. His Eye Is On The Sparrow is such a pretty song. "I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sparrows were introduced to Australia, too. However, I've not seen a sparrow around for ages and ages. The Noisy Miners...an indigenous species have been blamed by some for chasing away the sparrows. I can't remember the last time I saw a sparrow. When once upon a time they were everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I didn't say but the photo of the sparrow was taken in the back garden at my in-laws in England but the same bird could have been in my own backyard! (Well, not the same EXACT bird, but you know, the same kind of bird.)

      Delete
  4. I keep a little brown ceramic sparrow sitting on the shelf to remind me...his eye is on the sparrow and me. I didn't know the story about how they came to be here. We have many at the bird feeders too and they are fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the birds, all of them and it is interesting to know the birds in England AND the ones here, but some of them are the same....the starling and the English sparrow are two of them!

      Delete
  5. I can still hear our pastor's wife and her best friend singing this in church-their voices soaring and uniting together. I always thought of the notes as flying up like little birds. lol Probably not the most 'religious' thing to be thinking. lol

    Hope you have a great weekend- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of the little notes flying up like birds! That sounds religious enough for me, birds and music are creations of God to me. xx

      Delete
  6. I know that sparrows are considered a nuisance by many but I have then nesting in the eaves of my house and they are very welcome there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think we have bats that rest in under the eaves of our house, they don't nest there, I guess they just like to hang out! That's fine with us, they are supposed to eat a lot of mosquitoes in the summer and that is a very good thing!!

      Delete
  7. We've had four members of our church lose their mothers in the last 10 days. It is a hard time right now for many, and my heart goes out to all who have lost someone special recently. It's always a comfort to know our Savior is with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just seems to be so many deaths lately and I am thinking of all of the family and friends who are grieving just now. May they all find strength in their faith in God.

      Delete
  8. I had read about the introduction of the sparrows and the starlings, we get those by the droves down here. It was Eugene Schieffelin and he did it 1890.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If only my computer was a bit quicker, I could have looked that up for you, so I thank you for having it here! :-)

      Delete
  9. We used to see sparrows all the time in Australia when I was growing up. I don't know if they were introduced or not, but many other birds have been introduced (by accident I presume) and the sparrows are rarely seen. So sorry to hear of all the losses - is that because it is Winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did know that there were problems in Australia because of the introduced species. And I think Winter must be a hard time for many, cold weather and/or shorter days? I don't know, just praying for all who are suffering. xx

      Delete
  10. That sparrow is gorgeous. I remember hearing about the crazy person who introduced the animals from Shakespeare to Central Park. I'm glad it went surprisingly well. Introducing species like that is pretty dangerous and should definitely not be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark, I took that photo!!
      You know, it seems crazy to us, the thought of releasing the birds from England into Central Park, but they really didn't think it through, what that could mean for the future. We know it now, of course, but I wonder what people will think in one hundred years of some of the things that we are doing now?

      Delete
  11. I was not familiar with the art of Silke Powers and I really like it! Thank you for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I am so happy that you clicked on the link and looked at her art! She is such a talented artist! I just know you will find her as fascinating as I do! :-)

      Delete