Monday, June 8, 2015

Gone With The Wind

 
 "The happiest days are when babies come"...that quote is from Melanie Wilkes from the movie, "Gone With The Wind".
I THINK that is the exact quote but like a lot of movie quotes, I often remember them incorrectly.  "Play it again, Sam"...that line is famously quoted from the great movie , "Casablanca" but it was really "Play it, Sam".  It's funny how our memories play tricks on us that way...you can be very certain of something you have seen or heard but when it is played back for you, you realize that you have gotten it wr....wr....wrong.  There, I said the W word,  I don't like that word!  HA!
 
One thing I wonder if you know about the movie, "Gone With The Wind"...it had its premiere in Atlanta on Dec. 13, 1939 at the Loew's Grand Theatre.  You may read all about it here.
Hattie McDaniel and Butterfly McQueen were not invited to attend the premiere.  I have read that because of this, Clark Gable also did not want to go.  Hattie McDaniel convinced him that he just HAD to attend.  Now, I don't know about anyone else...but I always liked Clark Gable and that is just a little story that makes me like him all the more.  (Hattie McDaniel won the Oscar as Best Supporting Actress in this movie.  It has been said that she won it because of the snub at the premiere but I invite you to watch her performance.  I think she deserved it.)
 
In Atlanta, there is a very large painting of the Battle of Atlanta from the Civil War called the Cyclorama. When Clark Gable saw it, he joked that it had everything except Rhett Butler.  Afterwards, a figure of a man was added with large ears...it was said that this was in homage to Clark Gable!  It amuses me to think of the roar of laughter from Clark Gable when he found out that this was done!
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Hey! Things have been a bit crazy for me recently.  Busy at work, busy at home....busy!  I don't know where the day goes...before I know it, it is "gone with the wind"!
 But I won't think about that right now.  I will think about it tomorrow.
After all, tomorrow is another day!
 
Buildings of downtown Atlanta from the top of Panola Mountain....through a heat haze!
 
In the photo above, do you see the building that is kind of like a stairstep?  That is the Georgia Pacific Tower and it was built on the site of where the Loew's Grand Theatre once stood.
(Sadly, the Loew's Grand burned down in 1978.)
The Georgia Pacific Tower is the main headquarters for Georgia Pacific but there are others who have offices there including the Consulate General of the United Kingdom.
  
 
 
 
 

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ha! I wonder who would say this in a comment, and it was you! :-)

      Delete
  2. Now I'm liking Clark Gable even more too. Do you know I almost flunked Psychology my freshman year because during finals I thought I'd read Gone With the Wind just to get a little break from studying school stuff? I could not put the book down. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kay!
      A LITTLE break, reading that great big book? Kay, you are too funny!
      Sigh...that Clark Gable, what a guy!

      Delete
  3. I can just see the heat shimmering in that last picture. Try to keep cool. Yes, these days will be gone before we know it and I for one am not a fan of winter, so I'm trying to enjoy the warmth while I can. Right now it is very pleasant 61 degrees outside, but the day is to heat up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That heat was bad but the ticks and mosquitoes were even worse!
      I love the Autumn here, my favorite time of year!

      Delete
  4. I channeled my inner Scarlett the other day when I wrote "fiddle-dee-dee" in a comment. I don't think anyone caught the reference. *sigh* Youngsters these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I would have gotten it! (Of course, I am no youngster!)

      Delete
  5. I must have read Gone With the Wind about 5 times in high school. Loved the movie, too.

    I have been catching up with your blog. How sweet that book was in that it echoed your relationship with your husband.

    Aloha from Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the book I told you about but I think you would like it too, they were such good writers. I would do a similar book of mine and Richard's letters but...uh. how can I put this...Richard's letters are so much better than mine! :-)

      Delete
  6. Clark Gable always seemed down to earth. I found out a few years ago that many of the best remembered quotes get polished up over time to make them more memorable and that's why they have lasted. Most of them are actually misquoted time and time again as the better version is preferred. Great film that seems full of cliches now ("For tomorrow is another day.") but only because this was probably the original template for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved Clark Gable (as I did many film stars) from the books by David Niven. He was friends with many of them, but only nice ones like himself. If you ever get a chance, read David Niven's books, they are wonderful!
      I know how people will sometimes mis-remember things and sometimes, as you say, the better version is preferred. Why DIDN"T he say "Play it again, Sam?" He should have! HA!

      Delete
  7. People with a sense of humor are my favorites, and it sounds like Clark Gable had standards and a funny bone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love Clark Gable! Did you see my earlier post where I mentioned that his character from "It Happened One Night" is really the inspiration behind Bugs Bunny! I love that! :-) What's Up, Doc?

      Delete
  8. I have never seen gone with the wind, I really must watch it someday, and Casablanca!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MUST! Be sure to sing along in the movie, Casablanca when they sing La Marseillaise, the French National anthem...you know I always do!
      xx

      Delete
  9. A trip down memory lane for sure, Kay, because Clark Gable was my absolute favorite when I was growing up, even though he wasn't still alive then. I have seen Gone With the Wind several times and read the book as well. And, the same goes for Casablanca and I've always wondered what the film would had been like if Ingrid Berman's part was done by another female actress, perhaps Lauren Bacall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. , I do wonder sometimes what a movie would be like if the casting had been different. I think casting is SO important for a film! HA! I am SUCH the movie expert! LOL>

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Ha! I didn't even notice the misspelling, I am the worst proofreader, with my aging eyes!

      Delete
  11. Gone with the Wind. Big sigh. Now I want to see it again.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful book and movie "Gone with the Wind" is...true classics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, you know I think so. As a kid, I saw it on several book shelves at my friends' houses and I couldn't wait to grow up and read it. I didn't wait long, I read it when I was eleven years old! It is tied up with the song "Hey Jude" for me, that was the record my sister played over and over as I was reading it!
    The movie was re-relaesed at the local movie theatre, I think it was he following year, and I am grateful I got to see it on the BIG SCREEN, very important to see it that way, I think!

    ReplyDelete