Friday, May 22, 2015

Making The BEST of WHATEVER!



We all know the saying, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade", right?

This past weekend I thought it would be a nice thing to make bread for my husband. ( He has celiac disease and he can only have gluten free bread.)  I have a good recipe but for some reason, the bread never rises very much.  When I began to get all the ingredients together for the bread, I realized that I was out of yeast.  So....a run to the store just for yeast.  Everything was coming along nicely,  but when I put the bread in the oven and took a peek at it...OH NO, the dough was rising WAY too much and was beginning to spill over!!  AHHH!!!
Quickly, I put a pan on the second oven rack and let the dough drip onto it.  Then, I had to get that loaf pan out (getting dough all over the oven, the floor and ME!).  I scooped some of the dough out into a bowl, grabbed a cake pan, greased it and scooped most of the bread dough into the cake pan.
Put the cake pan back into the oven.  I had a look at the bits of dough that that spilled out onto the pan that was on that second rack. Hmm, that looks like bread sticks!   I took them out and turned them over and let them finish baking!  And the dough that I had scooped into the bowl?  I placed teaspoons of it onto a greased cooky sheet and then, sprinkled garlic powder onto them and they became PIZZA BITES1 HA!  I just made it up!  All of it came out beautifully, even the bread!  You would never have known what a disaster it was!

So...."When life gives you overflowing bread dough....make breadsticks and pizza bites!"  (Forgot to say, I also put a bit of cheese on the pizza bites when they had  almost cooked.)  All of this smelled heavenly when my husband came home from work!



 
And if life knocks you up against the curb, make sure it is lined with cherry blossoms!
 
Okay, so what is YOUR take on "When life give you lemons, make lemonade?"     Go on, you know you want to tell me!

23 comments:

  1. That is a GREAT lemon to lemonade story, Kay! I have never had bread run over before. That must have been some SUPER YEAST in there. lol
    I have turned fudge that flopped into hot fudge sauce for ice cream...does that count? xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, that yeast must have been super fresh!
      And thinking of it, I have done the same thing with fudge that didn't work. Gee, I bet I have a ton of these stories! LOL xx

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of your lemonade breadsticks, Kay. What fun! Hmmm... I can't quite think of a good thing I did with lemonade out of lemons though. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because YOU do everything right the first time! Me, I am always messing up and having to make do. Might as well laugh about it! :-)

      Delete
  3. That bread, pizza bites and bread sticks sound delicious! You were so right in using all that dough... Why do you think it rose so much more than what it was supposed to? Different yeast, very fresh yeast, or something else?
    It's always a little tricky working with yeast, isn't it, you never know exactly what you're going to get - will it rise at all, just a little, or go over the top?

    You know that life gave me one very large lemon 5 1/2 years ago, but I've made plenty of lemonade since then, and still am having a big glass every day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gluten free flour is kind of expensive, I hated to waste any of it. (Not that I like to waste any food, but doggone it, that GF flour is sky high!)
      I wonder why the dough did that when it hardly ever does...the fresh yeast, a very warm day, perhaps I beat the dough a bit longer than usual? Whatever, am glad I didn't just throw it out in frustration. It was a bit of a mess!
      Dear Meike, I never met your Englishman but I am certain he would want you to be happy. Keep dancing!

      Delete
  4. That' s good Kay, you had 3 treats instead of one! I can't think of anything right now, but once a friend was making divinity and it didn't set so she used it for icing on a cake she was making and it sure was good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that icing sounds DIVINE!
      Wish I had some right now with a cup of tea! xx

      Delete
  5. Clever quick thinking on your part! I had an "overflow" problem the one and only time I ever made matzo balls. I panicked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once had a cake that totally fell....and I almost threw it out...but I looked at it and wondered....What if I just pushed it together into a cake shape and iced it? HA! Nobody ever knew what a disaster it was. I really MADE that cake! :-)

      Delete
  6. Very clever!!! And quick thinking. I use a bread machine and let it deal with the rising dough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I had a bread machine once and it worked fine for a while...but then, it didn't. I think I gave it away. I hope that lady has better luck with it!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hey! Who knows? That MIGHT be where the idea of breadsticks came from in the first place! I love mistakes that you turn into something good.

      Delete
  8. This was a fun post. After you cleaned things up I imagine you thought so too. My saying is "When life does you dirt, plant flowers."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Yes, you realized what a mess it was!
      And you know your saying has reminded me, did you know that in England they never say "dirt", they call it "earth". And I love that, after all, that IS what it IS!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hey Dennis! Thank you! You really don't want to know how much I can mess up in the kitchen but I will tell you anyway! :-)

      Delete
  10. Oh Kay, that is hysterical and awesome!!! Love that story!!! And I'm sure Richard loved it.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Audrey! So happy to see your comment here!
      Yes, Richard liked it all!!
      Happy Memorial Day! xx

      Delete
  11. Wonderful!!!! I have a great image in my mind of you trying to deal with this ever expending bread dough that has gone all over the place, but hey, it turned out really well didn't it! Great lemonade - and pizza bits and bread sticks! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like something out of a comedy show, honestly!
      But hey, make the best out of it and all that...it's not just a slogan, it's a way of life for me! xx

      Delete
  12. Now that sounds all very delicious!

    Sorry...I'm still catching up on blogs etc., after being off the air for three days last week...I couldn't connect to the internet, but after my computer guy did what he needed to do on Friday afternoon while also installing a new modem, I'm back in the land of the living once again! :)

    ReplyDelete