Monday, August 13, 2012

Olympics 2012 Closing Ceremony/Waterloo Sunset


What a wonderful Olympics the Summer Games were in London, I was thousands of miles away and I could feel the excitement and JOY.  There are so many things that will stay with me...one of the American runners didn't make it through the semi-finals but he did a couple of back flips anyway and waved to the crowd.  JOY!   Tom Daley, the British diver who won bronze,  jumping into the pool with his mates to celebrate.  JOY!  The American women's relay team who won Gold and were so gracious and beautiful that they looked as if they were in a beauty pageant rather than running a race.
JOY!  The runner from the small island of Granada winning the Gold. JOY!  In the early stages, I read of a woman from...oh dear, I can't remember where she was from or  in what event she was competing, but she was 8 months pregnant and she said that she had two beating hearts and that made her stronger. JOY!
 Loved seeing all the Union Jacks so I thought I would share this one with you which was in the early stages of blooming in late May in England. They are the flower beds that are called the Carpet Gardens along the seafront in Eastbourne.  Richard was so pleased that Great Britain won so many medals.  I read somewhere that they hoped to win 43 and ended up with a total of  65. 
Now, what was I going to talk about?  Oh yeah, the Closing Ceremony!   I loved that it had the opening song as "Because" by the Beatles. You must know that went down well in our household.   It was a FANTASTIC closing ceremony, what a spectacle! Of course, there were some things I didn't like, but I just did something else as those songs were on.    As usual, we Americans had to endure a lot of talking over everything and a lot of ads...to make matters even worse we were informed that we would have the wonderful pleasure of seeing a BRAND NEW comedy with NO ADVERTISING INTERRUPTIONS  right in the MIDDLE of the Closing Ceremony!   (No JOY in this!)  So, of course that means that we had to have some songs cut out that we didn't even get to see.  One of those, that Richard really, really loves is "Waterloo Sunset" by the Kinks.  We only know that it was on there because he read on the internet that was one of those that had been cut.  For all my American friends, who didn't hear it, and for all my friends in the rest of the world to enjoy again, I found it for you...

In one of the speeches, the words from "God Save The Queen" came to the speaker's aid , when he declared the Olympic Games in London to be Happy and Glorious!   Hope all will remember these games with JOY!

24 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed these games as well Kay.These athletes put so much effort and hard work in to perform at their peak in time for the games. I loved the swimming and gymnastics and as for Jessica Ennis and little Mo Farah! Unbelievable.Also watching Michael Phelps last competitive swim. Amazing 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, oh yes, me too!
      And there was so much to remember. I might have to go back and edit my post, just so I have a written record of it.

      Delete
  2. Kay- We loved watching the closing ceremony last night. My little Lulu is sick and staying with us and she is very athletic...and she enjoyed every moment of it- Blessings to you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. We enjoyed the Closing Ceremonies too -- my favourite was "Imagine" with the video shots of John Lennon. The Brits did a marvelous job of staging and hosting the Summer Olympics -- huzzah, I say, huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was very moving, the bit with John Lennon.
      Our stupid NBC almost missed the shot from the top showing them coming together to make the face...

      Delete
  4. Everyone did a fabulous job, and i'm sorry it's over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and you both, I enjoyed the Games so much, all those young shining faces!

      Delete
  5. It felt quite sad seeing it all come to an end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, and I didn't expect to feel that way.

      Delete
  6. It was Briliant! I felt so proud of how the whole event went. I didn't see all of the closing ceremony (poorly and went to bed) and what I saw I had mixed feelings over. Unlike the opening which I loved every minute of! But seeing the happiness of the athletes was so marvellous. And I saw Waterloos Sunest. Great - and he involved the whole stadium in the "Sha-la-la".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like the opening Ceremony, we didn't get to see as much as the rest of the world. And because, I left the room during the bits I didn't like, then it might have seemed even better to me than it normally would have.
      It was such a joyous celebration of it all and it seemed to cap off the feelings of joy so well. I read that about 300 million viewed it around the world.

      Delete
  7. So glad you enjoyed the games Kay.Imagine and Waterloo Sunset - brilliant and so apt. So sorry that dear John had to go to bed early and just hope our laughter at "Del Boy's appearance did not wake him up. What a wonderful two weeks. All the athletes did well - even the ones that did not get a meddle. Congratulations to them all - they were all champions. It was a really happy and generous games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat!
      And even I know who Del boy is!! (Tickled at the idea of you whooping with laughter!!)
      It was a wonderful Summer Olympics, I enjoyed it all, all that I was allowed to see from NBC, that is. And like you, it was fun to see the medal winners but I liked all of them and let's face it, even making the Olympics would be a wonderful thing, so I hope all the athletes felt that way.

      Delete
  8. I used to know someone who had an apt. overlooking Waterloo and I always used to think of that song, (specially when the sun set) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An apartment overlooking Waterloo Bridge, it must have been lovely!

      Delete
  9. I loved it all, except the break for the new comedy! Ugh! Now that it's over, there's nothing to watch on tv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Terry!
      Thanks so much for commenting and also thanks for becoming a new follower/friend!
      I know, wasn't that so-called comedy dreadful? And in my let-down from the Olympics, even my Atlanta Braves lost their game last night. Bummer.
      Your photo makes me want to go out west and ride a horse underneath a wide open blue sky. Thanks again for being a new friend!
      Love,
      Kay

      Delete
  10. The whole world has definitely witness this great event with London's top performers that certainly entertained the athletes and people like us :D

    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVED the Closing Ceremony! Loved it. Thought it was so well done. But, last night, I was sad that I didn't have any Olympics to watch!!! Instead I went out and looked at the stars (we're at the beach) and I saw SIX shooting stars. And I thought, "Okay, well, this is just as good as the Olympics!!!". Hope you're well, Kay! I really enjoyed your son's post, by the way....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we could have seen all of the closing ceremony. Glad you liked my son's post. he surprised me doing that.
      Hope you are still enjoying the beach. Build a sandcastle for me.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful games, and beautiful closing ceremony. It's hard to believe that it's all come and gone. Where does the time go?? Great post, Kay. You always come up with such interesting things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so let down. I really enjoyed all of it and really liked seeing the pictures of London too.
      And thanks, Martha, I needed something to lift me up today!

      Delete