Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Squanto, Pocahantas, Sacagawea and The Navajo Code Talkers- Indian Givers



Happy that I recorded "This Is America, Charlie Brown".  It is a animated show about the first Thanksgiving and they must show it every year but this was the first year that I noticed it.   It made me do some research...there is a great article just here.   You should always be ready to learn from anything even it if it is something that is intended for children!

Squanto- All American children should know his name as the Native American who helped the Pilgrims from the Mayflower.  He was able to act as an interpreter for them as he spoke perfect English.  Why was this so? He had been kidnapped and taken to Spain. While there, the monks helped him to escape to England, and he spent two years in London.  Upon his return to America, he found that his entire tribe had died from disease.  Why did Squanto help the Pilgrims?  I would like to think that he took pity on them, he saw that they were totally out of their depth and that he helped them out of kindness.

Pocahantas-  The Native American woman who helped the settlers at Jamestown, Virginia, she married the Englishman John Rolfe and sailed to England with him and died there at the age of 21.




  Statue of Pocahantas at Gravesend, Kent in England (Believed to be near her grave.)



Sacagawea- The Native American woman who assisted the Lewis and Clark Expedition. She traveled thousands of miles with them from North Dakota to the Pacific Ocean, much of it while she was pregnant with her first child.  (A good book for you- "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose.)

America has a beautiful one dollar coin with the likeness of Sacagawea with her infant on her back. It is so beautiful that hardly anyone uses it!


Sacagawea dollar obverse.png

The Navajo Code Talkers- You might have seen a mention of the Navajo Code Talkers this week, some of the surviving veterans from World War II  met with Trump this week and unfortunately, much of their story was lost in the uncouth remarks from President Trump.  This was a shame as their story needs to be better known. I hope that it made more people look up their story. Their unbreakable code from their language enabled American military victories in the South Pacific.  You may read more just here.  (They were forced to keep their story secret until the 1960's!)
If you notice from the photo on that link, Trump met with these Native Americans in the Oval Office of the White House and there is a portrait of Andrew Jackson behind them.  Insensitive to say the least...Andrew Jackson was the President of the United States during the time when tribes were forced to leave their lands and to stay on reservations.   (Anybody thinking at the White House? Anybody?)

Years ago, I read a book by Jack Weatherford..."Indian Givers: How Native Americans Transformed The World".  It is a fascinating read!  Of course, he uses the expression "Indian Giver" in the true sense of the word!
Another one for you, "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown, is a book about Native Americans in the American West in the 19th century.

Both of these books are very well written and very much worth reading.




"Indian giver" is an American pejorative expression, used to describe a person who gives a "gift" and later wants it back, or who expects something of equivalent worth in return for the item.   



When the settlers first came to America, I can see why they called it "FALL".  The leaves from all those trees must have been spectacular and a true sight to see.

16 comments:

  1. The best comment I read on that whole White House debacle was that if the Navajos didn't previously have a word for "douchebag," they've sure got one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny!
      I hope that the Navajo Code Talkers were thrilled to be in the Oval Office and felt honored to be there. Seems to me that the President of the USA should take a little care in what he says. I am such a dreamer!

      Delete
  2. I grew up in an area where Sioux Indians live. We knew the stories of the Code Talkers from grade school. I have always been surprised that not everyone knew about them. Each of the people you named have fascinating stories. As far as that man not knowing what he was saying and doing, don't you believe it. It is all very calculated. I agree with Debra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that Trump knows much about American history. I was speaking specifically about the portrait of Andrew Jackson which is in the Oval Office, apparently. Now that I know that his portrait is in there, I think we should campaign to get it taken down!

      Delete
  3. Really interesting article, Kay; I knew about 1% of it before! But I did read 'Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee' - a very long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. Bury My Heart AT Wounded Knee is a fascinating book. Like you, I read it a long time ago but I will never forget it.

      Delete
  4. So many fascinating links. Much of this i knew, but there is always more history to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our native Americans are to be admired for all they have done and gone through. The lived life on a trail of tears for sure. So sad that in gaining the land of the free and the brave we changed theirs forever. This glorious country had enough room for both. I'm proud to say that somewhere along the line in my family tree one of my ancestors married an Indian so my DNA contains a bit of American Indian too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also was told that we have Cherokee blood too but who knows? I love watching those shows where they research the family trees and very often, the family legends are totally wrong! (Not saying that this is the case for you, just that many times, they are!) I think it would be so interesting to get one of those DNA tests. The DNA does not lie!

      Delete
  6. A completely fascinating post, Kay! The These Stone Walls article was part of the Squanto story I had never heard before. I've been interested in Navajo culture since the early '70s when I began reading the Tony Hillerman mystery novels. The code talkers story should certainly be known and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I LOVED learning more about Squanto and much of that info was on that Charlie Brown show! Tony Hillerman! What a great guy! Of course, you MUST know that I have read his autobiography! It is "Seldom Disappointed". I highly recommend it!

      Delete
  7. And that last photo is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny Woolf! Richard took that on one of our favorite trails, it is mostly hardwoods and in the Autumn, it is magnificent.

      Delete
  8. Keeping my political opinion to myself, so Ill just say- I love the last shot- just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri! Richard took it, I think he has great photography skills.
      No matter if you like Trump or not, you must admit that his remarks were not very respectful. One should never say "you people" to anyone!

      Delete