Monday, February 27, 2017

Just A Little About Hollywood...



Goodness me, I am sure everyone has seen the mistake at the Oscars, when "La La Land" was announced as Best Picture when it should have been "Moonlight".   Of course, Warren Beatty saw on the envelope, "Emma Stone, La La Land" and was understandably puzzled but what did he do?  Why, he simply HANDS it over to the woman beside him! Typical!   Faye Dunaway, poor woman, just glances at it and sees "La La Land" and announces the movie as the winner of "Best Picture"!   Did you see this on TV?  I didn't, it was too late at night for me, but dang, that was the main item of news today, so I didn't have to stay awake, did I?

Academy, here is my suggestion:
Just have ONE briefcase with ONE set of envelopes naming the winners, by the time you get to the end of the show and you have ONE award left to hand out, there will be only ONE envelope left.
Sometimes, simple solutions really are the best.

It was mentioned that Bill Paxton had died on the same day as the Oscars.  Jennifer Anniston was obviously upset as she announced this. Reading of him it seems that he was a kind friend to many. Today, Tom Hanks said of him, "He was simply a wonderful man". 

Bill Paxton was in two of my favorite movies:
"Aliens" and "Apollo 13".  If you have not seen these films, you should! Another film that he did that sounds interesting to me is "Frailty"...he not only starred in this but also directed it.
If you have seen this film, please let me know what you thought of it, would you?
Also, it seems that Bill Paxton worked in the art department for Roger Corman in the 1970's.  Who is Roger Corman?  Please tell me that you know "Little Shop of Horrors"! (This is one of many that Roger Corman directed and produced.)

I am a big fan of the movies, have you noticed? Also, you should never underestimate my knowledge about Hollywood, my brain is STUFFED with this and has room for little else. It does me NO good in life but you will want me on your trivia team, if the subject is anything to do with films.
As my signed photo of Kevin Costner says, "See you at the movies!"
(Actually, I rarely go to the movies...I just wait to see them on TV, in the comfort of my own home.  How about you?)








20 comments:

  1. I have movie trivia stashed away in my brain to, it does come in handy at quiz nights LOL.
    I haven't been to the actual movies in years, I usually watch in tv or DVD, I am constantly recording something to watch "later", currently I am watching Julie and Julia, I don't get a lot of time to watch tv so it takes me a while to watch a whole movie :)
    Oh and yes I have the original Little Shop of Horrors on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the movie, Julie and Julia. Best thing for me, the man who played the Julia Child's husband, Stanley Tucci, he is such a good actor and he was so good in that!
      Love Little Shop of Horrors!

      Delete
  2. I could only stay awake until 10:00 so I missed the whole show but I did record it so I'll see it when I have time. I loved seeing Auli'i Cravalho sing the song from Moana. It's amazing that 16 year old was hit by that flag and kept singing. I was hoping Hidden Figures would win. Sighhhh,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess what, Kay? Hidden Figures was filmed right here in the Atlanta area! I have not seen it yet but it is one the list of those I want to see! :-) I liked the young woman singing the song too but I wish they hadn't had those big flags waving around, that was just asking for trouble. Thank goodness she wasn't hit too hard!

      Delete
  3. As it is so often the case, your blog once more is the first time I come across a certain news item. I do not follow the Oscars, although of course they are talked about a lot on German telly. To be honest, I don't know who Bill Paxton was, even though I've watched (and loved!) "Apollo 13" many times.
    Also, half of the films you have mentioned here I have never seen - you can tell I am not much of a movie person, can't you! I would definitely want you for my pub quiz team, Kay!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill Paxton was one of the three astronauts on that were "lost in space" for a time, he played Fred Haise.
      You should try to see "Little Shop of Horrors", it's a classic!

      Delete
  4. Movies used to be kind of my thing, but I've gotten away from that, for some reason (probably taking care of parents, etc.). I used to make sure I had seen all the nominated Best Picture films at the theater before the Oscars. I should think about doing that next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I don't see as many films as I would like, work and walks take up a great deal of my time!
      Sometimes, it is the quieter, less appreciated movies that I like, the ones that all the critics rave about usually leave me cold!

      Delete
  5. I like films as well but rarely go to the cinema preferring to either buy them or watch them on TV. Apparently (from Yahoo news so maybe not that reliable) the person in charge was tweeting and using social media just before handing over the envelope, selfies with stars, posting on Instagram etc, so maybe the focus was elsewhere. It's a growing problem that can only get worse as everyone on buses these days seems glued to those smartphone screens with little time for anyone else, including in some cases, their own children, Some researchers into the subject have compared social media to crack cocaine as people get conditioned into using it and thinking about it constantly, just like a drug habit. I've even seen a person, who was supposed to be helping a guest presenter at a talk I was at, having a long domestic conversation on stage just behind the main presenter and the audience could hear every word until the speaker told this trainee to get offstage as it was putting her off her own speech in front of the public. Something that should have been polite common sense to anyone in front of an audience but obviously was not that important to the trainee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...social media like crack. Since we have our own blogs, I wonder if we are fellow "crack" addicts! HA!
      I wonder if the trainee was a young person. I don't have anything against the younger generation, it's just that they seem to be from a different planet to me sometimes!

      Delete
  6. Yes, i'd want you on my team for trivia! No matter the subject, you are a fun person and i belive we'd have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Yes, I do think we would have a grand old time, laughing at the things that I get wrong, the things that would drive you crazy if you were on my trivia team! You would say, but you talk about that ALL the time on your blog! And I would say, I KNOW but I get nervous when I am put on the spot!
      Uh oh, you won't want me on your trivia team now! :-)

      Delete
  7. Yes, wasn't that a terrible mix-up! It will go down in Oscars history all right! I love movies too but don't get to watch nearly enough of them. My Rare One and I still go to the cinema to watch -- there's just something about seeing them up on the big screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just what you mean! I too like seeing a movie at the theater. Well, I did, until they made the screens so small, and the people now are never "shushed" like they used to be! Still...I have fond memories of watching movies and being in a collective crowd, when we all laughed at the same exact moment, or all of us had that same surprised scream during something scary!

      Delete
  8. Like you I watch my movies on TV at home and didn't watch the Oscars... I love the picture of your daffodils !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MA! Those are pictures of the daffs at my Dad's house, aren't they gorgeous?

      Delete
  9. As you know I love movies too. As far as announcing the wrong winner for best movie it was a mistake. Just a mistake. After 82 years I think we can overlook one mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing that got me was him just handing it over to Faye Dunaway. Why couldn't he say what was on the card, and say, "wait, Emma Stone already won, this must be the wrong card!" Honestly though, it was crazy how much they talked about it the next day!

      Delete
  10. I also love to watch movies at home; the best seats with no distractions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody behind me kicking the seat and no one in front of me on a cell phone!

      Delete